Someone once said, “If you believe one-tenth of what you say you believe you should be ten times more excited than you are.”
So why do we fall short?
Maybe it’s this…. We fail to remember that being called “believers” means we “believe.” We fail to remember what it is we believe. And we fail to give thanks.
And when we receive a gift, what should be our natural response? Thanksgiving.
Here’s my Top Ten List of God’s gifts to us. How about we give thanks this month for:
- Gift #1: God’s Son – “Our Savior Jesus Christ. . . gave himself for us.” (Titus 2:14) Why?
- Gift #2: Forgiveness of Sins – “. . . that [we] might receive forgiveness of sins.” (Acts 26:18)
- Gift #3: We are adopted by God – “As many as received him, to them gave he the power to become the sons of God.” (John 1:12)
- Gift #4: Grace – “. . . grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began.” (2 Timothy 1:9) God’s favor when we didn’t deserve it !!
- Gift #5: the Holy Spirit – “. . . ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” (Acts 2:38) The Spirit of truth indwells us, fills us, rebukes us, seals us, and produces His fruit through us.
- Gift #6: Peace – “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you.” (John 14:27)
- Gift #7: Wisdom – “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God. . . and it shall be given.” (James 1:5)
- Gift #8: Victory over death – “Thanks be to God who giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.” (1 Corinthians 15:57) Because Christ rose from the dead, death will not have victory over us.
- Gift #9: An Inheritance – “. . . that they may . . . receive an inheritance.” (Acts 26:18) This inheritance is reserved in heaven for us. We’re “joint heirs” with God’s own Son.
- Gift #10: Everlasting Life – “For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16)
Now those are good gifts. As we eat the turkey, let’s remember and be grateful!!
Peace, Pastor Cheryl