Our conference district has been asked to fill shoe boxes for Red Bird Mission again this year. The Red Bird Mission and Clinic in Beverly, Ky., has provided ministries in the Appalachian Mountains region since 1921. Today, the need remains critical in this isolated, rural, distressed area. Chronic poverty, lack of jobs, poor housing, and rugged mountainous terrain provide obstacles to a fuller life for the residents of this area. Red Bird Mission strives to meet these needs through ministry in five areas: Education, Health & Wellness, Community Outreach, Economic Opportunity, and Community Housing Improvement.
Shoe boxes can address the needs of both the Health & Wellness and Community Outreach areas. There are two different styles of shoe boxes: adult and children. Please do not wrap the boxes.
Items needed for the adult shoe boxes (please mark for a man or woman) include:
- a comb/brush, shampoo, hand lotion, deodorant, toothbrush and paste, chap stick, full size bath
- soap, wash cloth, mittens, disposable razors, shaving cream, scarves and hats, nail care
- supplies, socks, and work gloves.
Items for the children’s shoe boxes (please mark for a boy or girl, and the age category: 2, 4, 5-9, and 10-14)
- include two or three toy items, two or three school items, bar soap, children’s
- toothbrush, children’s toothpaste, shampoo, lotion, wash cloth, comb/brush, chap stick,
- mittens, hats, socks, and small flashlights.
- Christian bookmarks, wrist bands, and other spiritual items are also appreciated.
Although shoe boxes can still be used, Tracy Nolan, Director of Community Outreach at the Red Bird Mission, is asking for small plastic storage containers to be used instead of the shoe boxes, when possible.
We are thrilled to have our church location as a collection site for the district! If you are interested in providing a “box” or interested in donating items for a “box” the drop-off times are as follows:
- Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 9:30 am -3:30 pm
- Sunday from 9am – 12pm
- Other hours by appointment only (please call our office to setup)
Click here for more information about the Red Bird Mission